Monday, June 29, 2009

Chamaecyparis Obtusa "Nana Gracilis"

This tree was purchased as a replacement for my first Hinoki I ever owned.


Although this tree might appear large, it was dwarfed compared to the scale of the garden. This tree was selected as I said for a replacement but in essence because the foliage was so close to the trunk in comparison with other Hinokis. Because of this potential it is developing nicely for 2 years of training.

The following photo is the tree circa '07:


This is the original Hinoki that was used in the garden:


Although this tree fit the spot beautifully as everything around it was based on the scale of this tree, it developed allot of potential as seen here:


... and I decided it would be a better candidate for a bonsai versus a landscape tree.


This is the tree Hinoki was replaced with. As can bee seen relatively easily, this one is more to scale.


This pot was created by Klaudia Meyer Wostefeld of Germany. As soon as she posted the pot I knew this would become Hinoki V's final resting place. But you will have to wait until spring for that update.

In the next couple of years the crown will be reduced and the tree refined. It is being developed as a slanting tree and with the exception of thinning out the foliage, it is pretty much there. Not bad for 2 years. Did I ever mentioned I like Hinokis!!

No comments: