Sunday, May 3, 2009

Picea Pungens "Montgomery" (Blue Spruce) Pt I

This tree was acquired as nursery stock. I have driven past a similar tree in someones front yard for the past 4 years. I have been tempted on several occasions to knock on their door to request permission to dig it up. I finally found one on my own. It has allot of work that needs to be done. So far this year I have been extremely fortunate with the roots on acquired trees, very little to no work required. It was potted up in a screen sided planter. I like these planters (inspired by Vance Wood) for growing out trees versus the original grow boxes.

I found that in my climate that the wood would become saturated and the substrate remain too moist, even with a fast draining almost totally inorganic mix. The design of these screen sided containers provide adequate ventilation all around and under the container. For my conditions, they are ideal not to mention the assistance in forming great roots.

The other think I like about these containers is the multiple anchor points available for not only the tree but guy wires. I have come to use more and more guy wires in shaping trees these days. Furthermore guy wires don't require replacement on growing trees like wire does.

The front

This may change with time. One needs to start somewhere. We can see a small 3 lobed branch right beside (left side) the vertical jin in the centre of the phot, that will form the future apex. It is situated about halfway between the jin and the end of the foliage on the left.

The right side


Right/back


The back


The left


Left/front

I may also develop this tree in the slanting style which would be its natural growth pattern, and as I do not have a slanting tree, I might just do that. We will have to see how it progresses over the next few years.

Alot of jins can be seen throughout the pictures, it is easier to have more than not enough. Some may remain while others will be either removed or shortened. Remember this is its first styling with many more steps involved in the future.

No comments: