Monday, January 21, 2008

Chamaecyparis Obtusa ""Nana Gracilis" (Lazy) Pt I



This Hinoki was my third purchase in May '05. I named it Lazy because of its laid back disposition. At the time I thought it was something special. I had kept as much foliage as I could, considering they do not back bud on old wood, and tried to maximize the trees height. The results a tall and lanky tree, nothing else.


Circulating the net I was convinced the best potential for this tree resided in the movement from this view. Although not convinced at the time, it is something that I have kept in mind ever since. Late August '07, this view was selected for a final styling in the penjing style.


During the winter of 05-06 I toyed with the idea of reducing the trees height, being fully cognizant of the trees growth patterns, that I needed to keep as much foliage as possible. In February of '06 I went to work. The trunk was wrapped in rafia, two 5mm wires acted as spines against the trunk and the trunk was once again wrapped in rafia. The tree was wired and this is the result. Height reduction was possible and the tree looked more credible than its humble beginnings,
Because of the length of the branches, in order to accomplish a credible silhouette Foreshortening Techniques needed to be applied, with the final result.


This shot was taken the fall of '06. The growing season was good and the fullness of the foliage apparent. Unfortunately the result looked more like a landscape juniper than a credible bonsai.


Although we dread winter as it seems because our trees are dormant we are sitting twiddling our thumbs, this is the time to reflect on the upcoming growing season.
The tree was potted up towards the end of March '07. The root structure of this tree favours a slanting style and, I decided not to fight it. A suitable rock I had available was placed on the left. This rock had a depression that fit nicely against the trunk and I believe help with the visual weight.



These renditions is where I originally seen the trees future. The canopy needs to fill out as well as more refined wiring and foreshortening. Work needs to commence on the deadwood.


The long branch (large branch) was the original trunk. As time went by this branch would no longer be suitable in the trees future. Although the foliage was desirable, it unbalanced the tree, making the top and right hand side to heavy. This branch was removed late summer '07. The growth was good and outside of repositioning branches and studying the tree, it was pretty much left alone.


Remember the back shot that was discussed earlier? Well I spent the summer contemplating the tree from my deck at numerous angles and height. In order to add credence to this tree, it needed further reduction. The foliage was just too heavy. This silhouette (the original right side of the tree) was used as a template for future styling. The large branch (original trunk top) was removed. The remaining branches were repositioned and wired and the crown was lowered. The intent is to style this tree as a penjing (which I have a penchant for). Photographs were not taken at the time, but will be taken come spring, at which time we can follow its progress with Part II.

No comments: